Thursday, January 8, 2009

Unarmed Youth Shot by Police Caught on Three Separate Videos



This afternoon as I was browsing the Internet when I came across a story about a protest march in Oakland that became violent; one hundred people were arrested. I was shocked and confused as to how I missed this on the morning news. Surely this would have received some mention; perhaps not on the regurgitated local news but some national coverage. I watched the morning news but perhaps I missed it refilling my coffee cup. I just finished searching for some kernel, some mention, of what transpired on my local stations and there is nothing.

On New Year's day Oscar Grant, a 22-year-old supermarket worker, was fatally shot in the back while unarmed and handcuffed on the ground on a BART station platform. There are three separate videos of the shooting; the first confiscated by BART police, the second uncovered by the local news, and finally a third perspective that surfaced days after the murder of Oscar Grant.

I am deeply troubled and disturbed by how this tragedy has not received more coverage by news outlets, including CNN. I was inundated with information regarding the slaying of 15-year-old Alexandros Grigoropoulos, which was the catalyst for the riots throughout Greece. I even mentioned the slain youth in a previous post.

How is this travesty not more newsworthy? How many hours of coverage did Caylee Anthony receive from national and local outlets? I've seen that cretin Anne Coulter plastered on the news with her latest "PR" stunt for the past 36 hours.

Damn, I feel like I was just sucker punched.

No comments: