Saturday, November 29, 2008

Black Friday with "Noah's Arc: Jumping the Broom" and good friends




Yesterday, on Black Friday, the much anticipated "Noah's Arc: Jumping the Broom" opened at one of the Landmark theaters here in Philadelphia. I previously purchased tickets online to ensure that we could see the film opening day. Upon arrival at the 3:35 viewing I was disappointed to see that it was not sold out. I prefer to think it was because of Black Friday is indeed was the busiest shopping day of the year.


Fortunately, I decided to catch the commuter rail into Center City, Philadelphia. I was amazed at the volume of people I encountered at the train station and on board for a mid-day excursion. There were dozens of families with children, folks headed to the airport, and a several international visitors headed for a walking tour of our historic Philadelphia. The city was packed both with pedestrians and cars clogging the sidewalks and streets alike. Christmas truly is in the air, with hundreds of children headed to see the various Christmas attractions. The most popular by far still is the Wanamaker's, now Macy's, Christmas light show. It has ranked number one since my childhood in the 1960's and the only to survive that long. Our newest attraction is the dazzling display in the lobby of the the still new Comcast Center, the 10-million pixel video wall also known as the largest four-millimeter LED screen in the world, measuring 83.3ft x 25.4ft. This technological marvel runs 18 hours a day with shows beginning each hour on the hour.


I arrived at the theater approximately 45 minutes before the ticketed showtime. Bradley, my dearest friend and soul mate, was already there waiting. I picked up the reserved tickets and joined him Bradley at a seat to watch the men pass by while we played catch up. After awaiting the arrival of, Robert and PJ, I decided to head down the escalator and into the theater to secure four premium seats.


Before the escalator reached bottom I saw him. I say "him" because I am always confused for an instant as to exactly how I should address him. No, I am not being shady, upon making his acquaintance initially his name was Ricky. However when I took him to a pool party as my date he corrected me and said his name was Thomas, or was it TJ. It was at the moment of embarrassment that I heard the bell toll for him.


I reached out and grabbed his arm before he could pass. I now believe he saw me but preferred to slip away unnoticed. He glanced at my eyes and looked away smiling. I forgot how he could not hold eye contact. We exchanged pleasantries and spoke of the film, he enjoyed it and assured me that I would as well. We exchanged sincere wishes for the Holiday and embraced awkwardly.


I will not ruin the film by revealing any plot lines or character development. The film opens on a ferry to Martha's Vineyard in winter. I have always found something quite magical about the beach in winter; such a beautiful place, peaceful, serene, and displaying a hypnotic beauty.


It is at this beautiful shore in winter that our story unfolds with our usual cast of suspects. I quickly suspended all reality and settled in to be entertained. There is more than enough drama for your nerves, campy lines, and some truly surprising developments. One moment in particular was a kiss, but not just any kiss. It was a moment when the audience gasped and leaned forward in our collective seats.


Personally, my continued discomfort with the Baby Gat character remains. He has never worked for me, I have always felt he was woefully miscast. Even with my suspended reality he seems like a caricature out of place.

Several years ago, during the Philadelphia Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, Bradley and I had the pleasure to meet Patrik-Ian Polk, Jensen Atwood, and Rodney Chester. This was well before the LOGO broadcast deal was finalized , Polk then was planning on releasing the show through mail order by DVD. One of the topics that he spoke on was piracy and supporting what he and the cast were attempting to accomplish. After a screening and Q&A session, we met with the director and cast members. Since that moment I developed a sense of admiration for them. my brothers who pursued a dream in spite of the many obstacles they faced.

After the film I met with my own cast of characters over cocktails. We caught up on the holidays, laughed and embraced. We deconstructed Noah's Arc, Quantum of Solace and Twilight. We shared and were distressed to learn of one of our own recent diagnosis with prostate cancer. It was at that moment time seemed to stand still and I realized the beauty of our friendship and camaraderie. We did not cry but instead we hugged and made plans for our next get together in two weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you went to the wrong showing of Noah's Arc. I went to the 9:45 pm showing (of course I purchased my ticket online first but ended up standing in line anyway) and I found out after the movie finished that it was sold out. The movie was good but the audience was a riot. My friend could not join me because he was sick. Once he gets well I will definitely take him to see it!

ALFII said...

Yes, I went to the 3:35 show.