Thursday, December 18, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire is a Winner

Slumdog Millionaire is a winner; it is story telling at its best, easily one of best films of 2008. The story is heroic, romantic, tragic, but also one of conquest. The cast is outstanding; I can't recall when I have seen such incredible child actors. The story spans approximately 15 years and the main characters are played by two to three children representing various ages.

The story is clever and quick paced; there were occasions that I literally slid to the edge of my seat in anticipation. The film also provides a view into the caste system still prevalent in India's culture. It is such an important film to see, it is the triumph of the human spirit against insurmountable odds.

A standout in the phenomenal caste is the Freida Pinto, her beauty is ethereal. I found myself thinking that she has to be one of the most beautiful women in the world. Her role was far from glamorous but her natural beauty could not be subdued which also is a core element of the story.

Did I mention that this is based on a true story? Take your Lover, your parent, your best friend, but you must see this movie.

No comments: